What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a partnership between BYU Beta Alpha Psi and the IRS. This program offers free tax help to people who generally make $60,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free, basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. The BYU VITA site is for U.S. residents only. If you are a nonresident, please visit the International VITA site on BYU's campus.
Read about us in The Daily Universe: BYU program provides free tax return assistance to the community
2022 VITA Metrics
How can I get help?
Our services are available on a walk-in basis—no appointments required. Please keep the following in mind:
- Our staffing is entirely based on volunteer availability and our services are in high demand. We do our best to meet demand with our limited resources, but we aren't always able to service everyone who wants our help. The earlier in the tax season you access our services, the more likely it is we can help you. Additionally, the earlier in the day you visit our lab, the less time you typically have to wait to get help.
- When you arrive at the lab, you will put your name on a walk-in list. If you are not present when we call your name to help you, you will forfeit your place in line. This ensures all of our visitors have the same opportunity to receive help.
- Once a volunteer starts your tax return, it can take up to an hour and a half to complete. This doesn't include time waiting for a volunteer to become available. Please plan accordingly!
- Prior to visiting our lab, please read through the Get Started and Frequently Asked Questions pages so we can serve you better. If you do not have the required documents, we will not be able to finish your return. If you have any questions, please contact us and we will get back to you in a timely manner.
Do I need an appointment?
It depends on when you want to visit the VITA lab:
- Monday through Friday: We will service our visitors on a first come, first served (walk-in) basis; no appointments are available.
- You can see how busy the lab is by looking at the Lab Queue.
- Saturday: Appointments are required; no walk-ins available. Click here to make a Saturday appointment.
The lab hours and location are listed at the bottom of this page.
Does BYU VITA provide virtual/remote services?
No; all returns must be done at our in-person lab. We are taking appropriate precautions to minimize any health risks posed to our clients and volunteers.
By using VITA, you are completely responsible and liable for the information on your return. If you get audited, we do not have any responsibility to help you with the audit.